Saturday, June 2, 2012

Have I Made My Last Oberon's Gateway?

Oberon's Gateway
Normally an artist wouldn't lament the demise of a product particularly if it had run it's course. In this case though Oberon's Gateway (OG) hasn't run it's course and was one of the first I ever designed and put to market for Ferrochie. So it has importance to me and I feel compelled to celebrate it before it's untimely death. OG had it's issues in the sense that I had wanted it to be a wind chime and not a door chime. However, cast iron keys being what they are (heavy) and wind generally not being category four it needed a push so to speak. I believed in it's artistic value and went ahead with it anyway and although not functionally what I wanted, structurally it's been a sound product. It's made of cedar and sealed with polyurethane to handle year round outdoor punishment. I've had one of the first one's I made hanging outdoor since 2009 and it still looks great although the keys are more oxidized. That aside it's probably my most successful outdoor product. That said, being a small atelier like I am it's hard to get the word on on stuff period but since early 2010 I've sold a handful of my design including a few customs. One of those customs featured a striker at the bottom to convert it into a door bell of sorts. At last check with the customer it was still performing well in that capacity. :)

2nd Annual Etsy Spring Bash May 2010
OG was also the first product for Ferrochie to get serious press. The picture to the right is of my first major show with Etsy Dallas. You may notice four OG's prominently displayed in pairs. They caught the attention of reporter Raya Ramsey of D Magazine. She was kind enough to write an awesome online article about me, Ferrochie and Oberon's Gateway. http://shoptalk.dmagazine.com/2010/05/12/the-handmade-bash-reviewed-ferrochie-studio/

So why discontinue it? It's the keys! I just took an order yesterday that will consume my last set out of those beautiful vintage keys imported from France and I don't think my supplier has anymore. These keys MAKE the item and if I can't get any more it's a death sentence for OG and his mate Titania's Rapture. I suppose that only makes them more desirable in a sense. I'll know by the end of the month if it's over for this product and if it is . . . thanks for the memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment