Wednesday, November 7, 2012

2013 Trend #2: Vertical Lines

Vertical Line Pendant Lights
Vertical Line Trend

This particular emerging trend has all the earmarks of being a flash in the pan expression of something different. Artists and designers will need to take it as inspiration and build upon it in order for it to have real staying power. There are however some great examples supporting this trend in trade magazines that lead me to believe it has a real shot at hanging around.

I would characterize this trend as any object whose form is defined by a series of vertical structural elements. Usually having few or ideally no horizontal support through the center. Many examples I have seen so far involve lighting and tend to lean towards the contemporary. The inherent visual qualities and rhythm of a vertical line structure almost force it towards modern but there are some softer examples. The image in the upper right is a nice attempt at a casual interpretation but then consider the hard contemporary lines of these fixtures below.


These images are indicative of what I have been seeing but if this takes off I can easily see many applications for more transitional and traditional pieces. In fact, I am playing around with this concept myself. I'll reveal later! :)

At the same time I was observing this trend in Europe small examples were popping up in October editions of House Beautiful and Elle Decor. Again, that suggests it has some support and credibility in the broader community or at least they are trying to get it to catch on.

I'll be keeping a watchful eye on this over the coming months to see how it grows and evolves. Maybe you can take some inspiration from this in your own work or your own decor. Try something different or unique with it. Either way it's making people think.

Next Trend: Birds

House Beautiful | October 2012
Elle Decor | October 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment