Saturday, November 10, 2012

2013 Trend #4 : Humanized Animals & Stencil Forms

Illustrations of Animal Heads on Human Bodies
Humanized Animals

Not that this is a new art form but this emerging trend has some clearly defined rules. The examples I found at both trade shows and in my retail explorations had a genre focus on those all to familiar portraits from the middle ages up. To me they appear mostly to resemble renaissance portrait paintings with a dark, serious and at times almost menacing appearance. Except rather than a bunch of bourgeois rich guys who want to commission paintings to show status, we've been replaced by the Animal Kingdom's royalty and middle class.

Emeowly Bronte by ChetArt
Just about every animal you could think of was represented. Dogs, cows, lambs, monkeys, etc. They look really great and the appeal is they add a little fun and unexpectedness to an other wise stuffy and ordinary image. I took dozens of photo's of people doing this so the idea has definitely caught on within the home decor trade.

I couldn't help but immediately think of my artist friend Chet Phillips of ChetArt who has been working this genre for years. If I want to get in on this trend in earnest I need look no further than his website which features literally hundreds of his original works. If you are thinking about exploring this art form I would certainly suggest exploring his website. He's such an amazing artist that I hope this trend will increase his exposure now that it's hitting the mainstream.

It's a bit early to tell on this one but I hope this sticks for a while in this form or another. Historically with trends like this it will mutate quickly and when it does it will be interesting to see where artists take it.

Stencil Forms

Stencil Bear (Note: Goat Men in Back)
Stenciled constructs are not new either but there seems to be a few places that are toying around with them. I'm not sure necessarily that this is up and coming. I only saw a few places doing this but it's worthy of mention. The large bear pictured to the right is one of a handful these guys were doing including a rhino, antelopes and an ostrich to name a few. Note the creepy upper class goat men sitting on the back wall behind. :)

Outside of this particular use of laser cut stencils there has been for years quite a few products in lighting and other trades doing a form of stenciling. In fact, in a recent October edition of HGTV magazine, one of dozens of such products was featured. (see below) I don't know if that's just coincidence or planned timing but this one will have to be watched as well.

Since I just invested in a laser cutter I suppose I can toy with this trend too. The hard part is figuring out which trend to work on first. :)

Left: Moose Stencil | Right: October 2012 HGTV Magazine
Ostrich & Antelope

No comments:

Post a Comment